Veterans Administration Benefit Information

Did you know there is a Veterans Administration Pension called “Aid and Attendance” that can provide money for regular un-reimbursed medical expenses such as personal care, and costs associated with Assisted Living Communities? Suffield by the River wants you to be informed of these government funds and their availability specifically for Veterans and their surviving spouses.

The Veterans Administration established the Aid and Attendance Pension in 1952, to assist wartime veterans and their surviving spouses who:

  • Require financial Aid as a result of un-reimbursed medical expenses and
  • Require the Attendance of another person to assist with aspects of daily living and independence.


Maximum Pension Awards for 2012

Per Month Per Year
Two Veterans Married to each other $1,644.00 each $39,456.00
Veteran with Spouse $2,019.92 $24,239.00
Veteran without Spouse $1,703.92 $20,447.00
Surviving Spouse $1,094.83 $13,138.00
Veteran with ill Spouse $1,291.00 $15,493.00
  1. Military Service.The Veteran must have served at least 90 days on active duty with at least 1 day of service during a war-time period.

    WWII – December 7, 1941 through December 31, 1946

    Korea – June 27, 1950 through January 31, 1955

    Vietnam – February 28, 1961 through May 7, 1975

    Persian Gulf – August 2, 1990 through TBD

  2. Homecare Needs. The applicant must have a medical diagnosis that indicates that he/she requires regular assistance with the activities of daily living as a result of chronic medical problems, does not have the
    ability to work and is in need of home care assistance.
  3. Limited Assets. There are asset limitations based on the veterans particular circumstances such as life expectancy, singled or married, medical expenses, etc. Liquid assets are defined as cash, stocks, bonds, 401 (k), etc. Hard assets such as real estate or vehicles are not included.
  4. Financial Advice. It is important to know veterans can qualify for this benefit even with substantial assets through proper planning. Please consult your financial adviser or attorney so that you may receive proper advice. We can also recommend John Dee of Wealth Preservation Group, Inc., who works closely with an accredited elder law attorney in obtaining the aides and attendance veterans benefits. John is in Enfield, Connecticut and can be reached at 1-800-679-2771 or visit John at for more information.

Please call your local Veteran’s Regional Office (the Hartford’s Regional Office is (800-827-1000) or visit their website at for additional information.

Copyright © Suffield by the River